Our mentoring program will provide a stable relationship for your son or daughter with a dependable role model from our community. Girls and boys can be referred to our program by their parent/legal guardian, teacher, or After School Program Site Director. A Big Sister or Big Brother is another positive adult figure in your child's life who can support, encourage and inspire life-dreams. A Big is someone your child can learn from and look up to. A Big is someone who can devote special one-to-one time to your child and give encouragement and motivation to reach life goals.
Volunteers are carefully and thoroughly screened, and matches are made to bring together the needs of the child and the skills, abilities and interests of the adult. Big Brothers Big Sisters matches children with a reliable adult mentor who will help your child set and meet goals, stand up to peer pressure, make good choices and gain confidence.
School-site mentoring: Bigs are 16-18-years-old.
Little Brother/Little Sister Eligibility Criteria
- The child must be between the ages of 5 and 14.
- Have a need for an adult friend to offer guidance and support
- The child has the capacity and willingness to relate to the volunteer.
- All parties (child, parent/guardian, and agency) agree that the services are needed and desired, and the child could benefit by a Big Brother or Big Sister relationship.
- The parent must be encouraging and capable of supporting the Big-Little relationship and cooperate with all match follow-up.
If you are interested in enrollment, you can call us directly by using one of the phone numbers below for our two offices:
- 217-243-3821 Jacksonville Office
- 217-223-5452 Quincy Office